The Honorable Jane Philpott, Minister of Health, today announced a $3.5 million investment over three years for ImmunizeCA, an innovative mobile app that helps Canadians keep their immunization information close at hand. First launched in 2014, the successful app will be enhanced and expanded in a collaborative project led by researchers from The Ottawa Hospital with support from the Canadian Public Health Association, Immunize Canada and the Better Outcomes Registry and Network at the Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario. The announcement was made at Ottawa Public Health’s main immunization clinic.
The mobile app ImmunizeCA helps Canadians store and manage their families’ vaccination records. It provides access to vaccination schedules based on information specific to people’s home province or territory, and to reliable, expert-approved information about vaccinations for children, adults and travellers. It also offers useful tools such as appointment reminders and local outbreak notifications.
Phase Two will create a digital platform that will allow for:
• Secure access to information so that all family members can share their records;
• More functions, including a web-based platform (access through a laptop/desktop computer, as well as through a mobile phone);
• Ability to integrate with provincial immunization records;
• Customizable schedules and information for individuals with health conditions, such as children with inflammatory bowel disease; and,
• Catch-up schedules for newcomers to Canada, including refugees.