A spare school bus driver, who also serves as a transportation and maintenance shop support worker, has won Peace River School Division’s [PRSD] 2020 Transportation Award of Excellence.
“I am overwhelmed and grateful to be nominated for this award,” Zdenka Hansen says.
“I like everything about my job, especially seeing the kids.”
The annual award celebrates the dedication and commitment of transportation staff.
Hansen has worked with PRSD for seven years serving as a spare school bus driver in the Peace River region. She also provides support at the PRSD transportation office.
“I decided to start driving bus as I was a stay-at-home mom and I could take my children on the bus with me.”
In June, the transportation department asked citizens to submit nominations online.
Hansen received eight nominations, the most as 20 employees were nominated.
Some of the comments from nominations include:
- “Zdenka finds unique ways to support students by being a spare driver that we can count on for almost every run.”
- “She knows the names of many of the students on my bus and has driven only a few times.”
- “She cares about and respects each individual student. She makes sure the kids are safe and my kids get excited when they know she is covering for me.”
- “She is always giving 100 per cent to her job. She keeps the shop clean, she helps drivers out by washing, fueling and moving buses.”
- “As a spare driver, she deals with everyone’s kids. I think that is pretty amazing. She treats my kids as if they were her own route.”
- “She works hard in the shop, on the bus and with her friends and family. She loves her job and students, and sets the bar pretty high, plus she bakes for everyone.”
The board congratulates Hansen.
“On behalf of the board of trustees, I am thrilled to congratulate Zdenka for being nominated and selected for this important award,” says chair Darren Kuester.
“We extend our gratitude to her for her important contributions to students, colleagues and the division as a whole.”
Hansen was honoured during a special ceremony Aug. 18 with colleagues and PRSD transportation management staff.
Supt. Paul Bennett and transportation support services director John Przybylski presented the award to Hansen.